Skip to main content

Research & Phone Bashing

This week I have been doing the groundwork for a factual programme for my Content Delivery University assignment which needs me to research and create a short feature for Channel 4's Food Unwrapped. I'm going to be sharing with you my experiences of doing research and ringing people to find out information and potentially get some contributors for my feature.

Firstly, I needed to think about what food am I going to research. Coming up with ideas can be difficult but I remembered something my parents told me when I was younger 'if you eat cheese before bed it'll give you nightmares'. Then I had a light bulb moment! So I began my research into does cheese really give you bad dreams?

Using 'newsstand' (a university resource), I began sifting through newspaper articles and websites all about cheese and its dreamy qualities. I found that there hadn't been much research done on the subject as the British Cheese Board state that their study is "a first of its kind" (British Cheese Board, 2005). From this, I collated what I could find in a document and noted down all the notable people that were mentioned. This is where the phone bashing started.

Once I had got a list of phone numbers I would like to ring, I got out my notebook and started to write a little opening spiel that I would say and what questions I was going to ask. Along the lines of:

"Hello, my name is Jordan Shuck and I am currently in the research stage of a programme about does cheese give you dreams? I was wondering if you could help me by answering a few questions it would only take a couple of minutes"

"Many of us dread actually making a call" (Sillers, n.d.) but to get over this little bit of phone fear, I prepared what I was going to open/end the call and what I was going to ask. By doing this it made me feel satisfied that I would be in control of the conversation and could lead what the other person was saying to get the best out of them. 

I was pleasantly surprised by one phone call to the British Cheese Board. I rang them and it went straight to voicemail, so I left a voicemail asking for them to ring me back when suitable for them. With me thinking they won't get back to me, about half an hour later they rang me back and had a short but useful conversation about their study and how they would email me in a few days with the relevant contacts I would need to enhance my research. 

Reference list

British Cheese Board. (2005). Sweet Dreams Are Made Of Cheese. Retrieved 15 February 2018, from http://web.archive.org/web/20060115000115/http://www.cheeseboard.co.uk/news.cfm?page_id=240 

Sillers, J. (n.d.). Why Do Phone Calls Give Us Anxiety?. Retrieved 15 February 2018, from https://www.headspace.com/blog/2017/02/06/fear-of-phone-calls/ 

Popular posts from this blog

The Archers

The Archers is BBC Radio 4's "longest running drama" (Independent, 2011) and has been providing entertainment of real stories for over 67 years. It fits the radio 4 remit by providing a "wide range of other speech output including drama" (BBC Trust, 2016) but why has it been running for so long and what makes this drama engaging for its listeners? The episode I listened to was from back in 2013 when Bridge Farm's dairy herd was sold. This programme was grounded in factual research to ensure the programme sounded realistic for the viewers. The writer for The Archers visited a farm's cattle sale because there is "no way a writer could conjure scenes like this out of the imagination" (Solazzo, 2013). This quote shows that in every detail of the programme, in-depth research has been done to immerse the audience in as much realism as possible. The Archers covers a wide range of topics from "domestic violence and dementia to robotic cow mil

Desert Island Discs

This week I am focussing on copyright and clearance, more specifically how copyrighted material is cleared and what has been used in the chosen programme. I listened to the episode featuring Jack Whitehall which was broadcast on 9th February 2018. Desert Island Discs is presented by Kirsty Young who "invites her quests to share the soundtrack of their lives" (BBC, n.d.) and broadcast on BBC Radio 4. Desert Island Discs fits BBC Radio 4's remit because the "mixed speech service" (BBC, 2016) is used to "inform, educate and entertain" (BBC, 2016) its audience. The Copyright,  Designs and Pattern Act 1988 is the law on copyright currently in the UK (UKCS, n.d.). It gives the creator of original content control over how their content is used. It is described as when an "individual or organisation creates a work, and applies to a work if it is regarded as original" (UKCS, n.d.) then copyright arises. For Desert Island Discs, the music used w

Eden: Paradise Lost

Eden: Paradise Lost - Channel 4 'Eden: Paradise Lost' was first broadcast as 'Eden' on Channel 4 in 2016. The programme followed the experience of a group of men and women from the UK as they "face the challenge of building a new life and creating a new society from scratch" (Channel4.com, 2015). Using an "embedded crew" (Channel4.com, 2015) the group have only the basics to survive and build a new society but after the only a few episodes being aired in 2016 it was "pulled from screens" (Swindon, 2017) and in 2017 it was rebranded as 'Eden: Paradise Lost' to "tell the story of how it all fell apart so dramatically" (Nicholson, 2017). When the participants emerged from Eden, they realised that it "had not been on television in months" (Nicholson, 2017) mainly due to the ratings falling "from 1.7 million to 800,000 over four episodes" (Swindon, 2017). So why did this programme fail? The five new e